NFACT provides wraparound emotional wellbeing and resettlement support to refugees and people from refugee-like backgrounds who are new to the country and receive very little support from any other organisation.
Our volunteer programme is currently working to support the recently-arrived Afghan nationals. We have been able to work with volunteers within refugee communities to better support families - this is especially valuable when volunteers can speak the same language as the families they are supporting. The support the volunteers are currently providing include:
- Adjusting to life in New Zealand
- English as a Second Language (ESOL) support
- Connecting to social, educational and health services
- Social connections within refugee and wider communities
- Connections to other community groups and services
Our main aim with this programme is to build basic knowledge and skills in families to increase their independence and confidence.
NFACT also supports the wellbeing of members of our communities going through challenging times by distributing face masks, food parcels, and other resources. Please reach out if you need support.